Apply for Fall 2012 and Spring 2013
The 2012-13 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is now available. Prior to applying for financial aid at Penn State, be certain that you meet Federal and Penn State’s Financial Aid Eligibility Requirements.
To complete the FAFSA, you and/or your parents will need to:
- Enter your name exactly as it appears on your Social Security card (include suffixes and your middle name/initial)
- Enter your Social Security number
- Provide your valid driver’s license number (if you have one)
- Enter your date of birth
- Provide your alien registration number, for eligible non-citizens
- Mark your individual status information (marital status, veteran, etc.)
- Supply 2011 federal tax information, including adjusted gross income, earnings from work, income tax paid, etc.
- Insert Penn State’s federal school code—003329
We recommend filing your 2011 federal income tax return prior to submitting the FAFSA
IRS Data Retrieval Tool
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows you to view and securely transfer your federal tax information directly from the IRS to your FAFSA. Using it will save you time and increase the accuracy of the FAFSA.
Beginning February 5 the Data Retrieval Tool will be available on the FAFSA after:
- One to two weeks for electronically filed federal tax returns
- Six to eight weeks for returns filed via U.S. mail
You should not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool if you and/or your parents did one of the following:
- Filed an amended 2011 federal tax return (1040X)
- Did not file a 2011 federal tax return
- Are married but filed separately
- Filed a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return
You may use estimated tax information or manually enter your tax information. However, once you have filed your taxes, you may update your FAFSA with the actual final tax figures and we may contact you to request documentation for any of the above items to verify your information. Respond quickly to ensure timely disbursement of your student aid.
Recommended submission dates
- March 1 for future undergraduate, graduate, and transfer students
- April 15 for all current undergraduate and graduate students
- May 1 (deadline) for Pennsylvania residents who are interested in applying for the Pennsylvania State Grant*
*If you are a resident of a state other than Pennsylvania, please verify if you are eligible for a state grant and what your deadline is with your own state grant agency.
Are you ready to fill out the FAFSA?
Penn State's Federal School Code is 003329
If you need more information, consider using our Ask the Lion option to receive real-time answers.