Apply for Fall 2013 and Spring 2014
To be considered for student financial aid at Penn State for the 2013-14 academic year, you should complete and submit your 2013-14 FAFSA as soon as possible. In order for financial aid to be awarded, your FAFSA must be processed prior to the last day of the semester.
Make sure that you are using the correct year's FAFSA if you are applying for aid for 2013-14. The 2014-15 FAFSA became available after January 1, 2014 so when using FAFSA on the web you want to make sure that you are applying for the correct academic year.
We HIGHLY recommend that you and/or your parents use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to view and securely transfer your federal tax information directly from the IRS to your FAFSA to save time and increase the accuracy of the FAFSA.
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool for 2013-14 is available and your federal tax information is available for transfer as long as it has been at least:
- Three weeks since you electronically filed federal tax returns or
- Eight weeks since your paper returns were filed via U.S. mail
You should not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool if you and/or your parents did any one of the following:
- Filed an amended 2012 federal tax return (1040X)
- Did not file a 2012 federal tax return
- Are married but filed separately
- Are separated from your spouse but filed jointly
- Filed a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return
If you have circumstances where you have not yet filed your 2012 federal tax return and are submitting your FAFSA, you may use estimated tax information or manually enter your tax information. However, once you have filed your taxes, we will need to update your FAFSA either by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool or actual final tax figures.
Requirements and Verification
To complete the FAFSA, you and/or your parents will need to:
- Enter your name exactly as it appears on your Social Security card (include suffixes and your middle name/initial)
- Enter your Social Security number
- Provide your parent(s) name and social security number exactly as it appears on their Social Security card (including suffixes and middle name/initial).
- Provide your valid driver’s license number (if you have one)
- Enter your date of birth
- Provide your alien registration number, for eligible non-citizens
- Mark your individual status information (marital status, veteran, etc.)
- Supply 2012 federal tax information, including adjusted gross income, earnings from work, income tax paid, etc.
- Insert Penn State’s federal school code: 003329
We may be required to contact you to request documentation or have you use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to . Please respond quickly to any and all requests by the Office of Student Aid to ensure timely disbursement of your student aid.
Are you ready to fill out the FAFSA?
If you need more information, consider using our Ask the Lion option to receive real-time answers.