First-Year Undergraduate Student Checklist for Summer 2013
- Application Information
- Additional financing strategies for consideration
- Complete/confirm your registration
1. The 2012-13 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be submitted by June 30, 2013 using your 2011 Federal Income Tax Return.
2. If Penn State receives your 2012-13 FAFSA and your acceptance fees for summer 2013, we will determine your eligibility for the student aid listed below. You can expect to receive notification of summer aid by May 1st.
3. Review summer cost information.
Federal Pell Grant
First-year undergraduate students starting summer session generally take six to seven credits, which is considered half-time enrollment. If you are eligible, the maximum Pell Grant for half-time enrollment is $1,388. Students do not need to request consideration for this grant, as it is automatically awarded to eligible students.
If you requested consideration for Federal Work-Study on the 2012-13 FAFSA, the Office of Student Aid will determine your eligibility for summer Work-Study. If you are eligible, the maximum summer work-study amount is $1,500 for undergraduate students.
If you are interested in the State Work-Study Program, awarded to Pennsylvania residents by the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA), you can obtain an application at PHEAA.
Federal Direct Stafford Loans
Eligible first-year dependent undergraduate students can borrow up to $2,750 for their first summer of enrollment. Eligible first-year independent students can borrow up to $4,750 for their first summer of enrollment. Your summer 2013 Stafford Loan will not affect loan eligibility for the Fall 2013 or Spring 2014 semesters.
If you are a first-time borrower, go to StudentLoans.gov, sign in using your Federal Student Aid PIN (the one you use to sign your FAFSA) and complete the following requirements:
- Choose "Complete Entrance Counseling" and then select "I am an undergraduate student." Continue through the application until you receive a confirmation that you successfully completed Entrance Counseling. You can choose to view and download your completed Counseling Verification Page from the confirmation page. If you selected Penn State in the School and Loan Information section, our office will be notified electronically that you completed Entrance Counseling, typically within three business days.
- Choose "Complete Master Promissory Note (MPN)" then click on "Subsidized/Unsubsidized." Continue through the application until you receive a confirmation that you successfully completed the MPN. Our office will be notified electronically that you completed your MPN, typically within three business days. If you experience technical problems e-signing your MPN, please contact the U.S. Department of Education’s Borrower Application Services at 800-557-7394.
Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan
If you are an eligible dependent student, your parent can apply for a (after you have granted him/her access*) to cover your education expenses (tuition, fees, room & board, books, transportation and miscellaneous). You must be a degree-seeking student and also be taking at least six credits for your parent to be eligible.
*To grant your parent access to the Parent PLUS Request Form:
- Your parent must create a Friends of Penn State (FPS) Account and then,
- You select "Parent/Other Access" from the “Students” menu on your eLion account to grant access. (A student must first fully activate his or her Penn State Access Account through the New Student Orientation or at a Penn State Access Account Signature Station to access this option in eLion.)
Private Alternative Loans
If you are an eligible independent student, ineligible for federal or state student financial aid or have remaining financial need, you may want to apply forthrough private lenders.
Dependent students typically need a credit-worthy adult to co-sign their loan application. Independent students may or may not need a credit-worthy adult to co-sign their loan application.
The maximum private alternative loan amount you can request is your cost of attendance, less all other student financial aid listed on your "Student Aid Summary" on eLion for Summer Session(s). The loan term dates for a summer private alternative loan are May–August 2013.
Summer refunds are available after July 1st.
Complete your registration on the summer tuition bill on eLion.