Graduate Student Checklist for Summer 2013
- Application Information
- Additional financing strategies for consideration
- Complete your registration
1. The 2012-13 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be submitted by June 30, 2013 using your 2011 Federal Income Tax Return.
2. Review the cost information for the 2013 Summer Session(s).
3. Schedule all the courses you intend to take during Summer Session(s).
4. You must request consideration for summer aid after April 1st on eLion for all aid listed below. If Penn State received your 2012-13 FAFSA, the Office of Student Aid will determine your eligibility for the following aid:
If you requested consideration for Federal Work-Study on the 2012-13 FAFSA, you can apply for Summer Work-Study from the “Students” menu on eLion between February 15 and April 1, 2013. If you are participating in one of the summer Federal Work-Study (FWS) programs, you must be in degree-seeking or provisional status, and enrolled for at least five credits in the summer 2013, fall 2013 or spring 2014 semester. If you are eligible, the maximum summer work-study amounts are as follows:
|If You are Enrolled for||Max Summer Work-Study Amount|
|2013 Summer Session(s)||$1,600|
|2013 Fall Semester (not enrolled for summer)||$3,000|
|2013 Spring Semester (not enrolled for summer)||$3,000|
If you are not enrolled during the 2013 Summer Session(s), you will be expected to save $1,500 of your FWS earnings toward upcoming fall 2013 and spring 2014 semester expenses, which will be counted as part of your 2013-14 student financial aid package.
If you are interested in the State Work-Study Program, awarded to Pennsylvania residents by the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA), you can get an application at PHEAA.
Federal Direct Stafford Loans
You may be eligible for the Federal Direct Stafford Loan if you have not received the maximum amount of Federal Direct Stafford Loan eligibility during the previous fall and spring semesters. To request consideration for a summer Federal Direct Stafford Loan, select "summer Direct Stafford Loan" after April 1st from the “Students” menu on eLion. If you did not receive a Federal Direct Stafford Loan for the 2012-13 academic year, and are a first-time borrower; you need to go to StudentLoans.gov, sign in using your Federal Student Aid PIN (the one you use to sign your FAFSA) and complete the following requirements:
- Choose Complete Entrance Counseling and then select "I am a graduate/professional student." Continue through the application until you receive a confirmation that you successfully completed Entrance Counseling. You can choose to view and download your completed Counseling Verification Page from the confirmation page. If you selected Penn State in the School and Loan Information section, our office will be notified electronically that you completed Entrance Counseling, typically within three business days.
- Choose Complete Master Promissory Note (MPN) then click on "Federal Direct Stafford Loan." Continue through the application until you receive a confirmation that you successfully completed the MPN. Our office will be notified electronically that you completed your MPN, typically within three business days. If you experience technical problems e-signing your MPN, please contact the U.S. Department of Education’s Borrower Application Services at 800-557-7394.
Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
If you are eligible, you can apply after April 1st for a Federalto cover your education expenses (tuition, fees, room & board, books, transportation and miscellaneous). Before you apply for the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, the Office of Student Aid must review your aid to determine if you have any remaining summer Federal Direct Stafford Loan eligibility.
You must be a degree-seeking student and also taking at least five credits to be eligible for the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan. The maximum Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan amount you can request is your cost of attendance, less all other student financial aid listed on your Student Aid Summary on eLion for Summer Session(s). The loan term dates for a summer Graduate PLUS Loan are May 2013–August 2013.
Private Alternative Loans
If you are ineligible for federal student financial aid or have remaining financial need, you may want to apply forthrough private lenders. The maximum private alternative loan available is your cost of attendance less all other student financial aid listed on your Student Aid Summary on eLion for Summer Session(s). The loan term dates for a summer private alternative loan are May 2013–August 2013.
Finally, complete/confirm your registration on the summer tuition bill in eLion.
Summer refunds are available after July 1st, once you have started all your classes. If you are enrolled in both Summer Sessions, you will receive your refund within five to seven days of the start of the second session. Sign up for Rapid Refund on eLion.
Please be prepared to pay for summer expenses since the refund will not be available until July 1st, at the earliest.