Apply for Fall 2017 and Spring 2018
Things to Know Before You Fill Out the FAFSA
1. We recommend every student fill out theFor maximum consideration of financial aid, submit your FAFSA by the following dates:
- New Students: February 15, 2017
- Returning Students: April 15, 2017
2. Apply for state grants. Pennsylvania residents should apply for the Pennsylvania State Grant by May 1, 2017. If you are a resident of a state other than Pennsylvania, check with your state grant agency.
3. Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to import your tax information into the FAFSA. It will securely transfer your federal tax information directly from the IRS to your FAFSA.
You will not be able to use the IRS Data Retrievel Tool if you and/or your parent(s) did any of the following:
- Filed an amended 2015 federal tax return (1040X)
- Did not file a 2015 federal tax return
- Are married but filed separately
- Are separated from your spouse but filed jointly
- Filed a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return
4. Have the following information ready to enter into the FAFSA:
- Penn State’s federal school code: 003329
- You and/or your parent(s)' 2015 federal tax information, including adjusted gross income, earnings from work, income tax paid, etc.
- Your Social Security number.
- Your alien registration number (eligible non-citizens only).
- Your valid driver’s license number (if you have one).
- Know who your parent is—dependent students are required to provide their parent(s) tax information on the FAFSA. For reporting purposes, "parent" means your legal (biological or adoptive) parent or stepparent, or a person determined to be your legal parent. This flowchart from Federal Student Aid will help you determine who to report as your parent.
- Your parent(s) name and social security number.
5. While filling out the FAFSA, becareful to enter:
- Your name exactly as it appears on your Social Security card (include suffixes and your middle name/initial).
- Your parent(s) name and social security number exactly as it appears on their Social Security card (including suffixes and middle name/initial).
Check out our FAFSA tutorials for more help and information on filling out the FAFSA
After Your FAFSA is Submitted
We may need to contact you for documentation to verify some of your FAFSA information. Please respond quickly (requests will come from the Office of Student Aid) to ensure timely disbursement of your student aid.