Other forms of Graduate and Professional Student funding


Opportunities for work are available on campus in a variety of locations. Visit the the Employment page for information or the University's Job Opportunities website to begin your search.


The most common form of graduate support, teaching and research assistantships, include a stipend, tuition remission, and a subsidy for medical insurance.


Fellowships are highly prestigious financial support packages that typically include a stipend, tuition remission, and a subsidy for medical insurance. They derive from University or outside awards. Unlike assistantships, there are not required activities for a certain number of weekly hours or weeks per semester. Fellowship stipends may have different tax implications for recipients; these differences are outlined by the US Internal Revenue Service Tax Topic 421 and in Publication 970 available at http://www.irs.gov. Recipients must be enrolled in degree programs and be registered full-time.


Training grants are derived from agencies outside the University and are intended to support specific student learning experiences in core curricular areas and research methods. Institutional awards, typically under the direction of a faculty principal investigator, afford funding to support selected students with stipends, tuition grants-in-aid, and often include a subsidy for medical insurance.

For more information on assistantships, fellowships and traineeships, please visit the graduate school website.