Federal and Penn State Financial Aid Eligibility Requirements
To receive and retain student financial aid, including all types of federal loans, undergraduate, graduate and professional students must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) yearly
- Comply with Policy
- Remain in good standing on educational loans and grants per the National Student Loan Database System (NSLDS)
- In general, remain enrolled for at least six credits if you are an undergraduate student* with the exception of the Federal Pell Grant, which has no credit minimum
- In general, remain enrolled for five credits; at the 400 level or higher if you are a graduate student
- Be enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program
- Be a citizen or eligible non-citizen with a valid Social Security Number
- Have a high school diploma
- Be registered for the Selective Service if you are male and 18-25 years of age
- Comply with any and all
We will monitor your Award Summary throughout each semester to ensure your student aid does not exceed your financial need.
*Some grant programs require full-time enrollment, which is indicated in each grant's eligibility section.