Pennsylvania National Guard Military Family Education Program (MFEP)
Together with the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, PHEAA administers this tuition assistance program for dependents (spouses and children) of PA Guard Members who enter into an additional 6-year service commitment with the Pennsylvania National Guard.
To be considered for the MFEP, you must be:
A Guard Member:
- Someone who completed an initial service obligation, on or after July 1, 2019, in the Pennsylvania National Guard and be eligible to reenlist in the Pennsylvania National Guard for a period of 6 years
A Family Member:
- Someone who is a spouse or child of a Pennsylvania National Guard member who meets the above criteria and has assigned the benefit to the family member.
- Someone who is enrolled in a degree or certificate-granting program of study at an approved Pennsylvania institution
Program of Study Type
|Undergraduates and Graduates||The lesser of:
||The lesser of:
- The MFEP grant can be used for a degree-granting curriculum or certificate-granting, course of study, or training programs required for entrance into a specific career as determined by PHEAA at an approved PHEAA institution of higher learning for up to 5 academic years.
- The PA Guard Member can assign the entire benefit to one dependent or a portion of the benefit to more than one dependent.
- If you fail to honor the service commitment with the Pennsylvania National Guard, you must repay your total MFEP award amount, plus interest.
Length of Dependent Eligibility
- A spouse can use the assigned MFEP benefit up to 6 years after the member’s separation from the PA Guard.
- Children can use the assigned MFEP benefit before reaching 26 years of age.